Monday, September 19, 2011

My Idea of Perfection: Laundry/Project Room

With two soon-to-be grade school aged kids, I'm envisioning many ongoing science projects and other similar activities in my future...  So, in my ideal home, I'd design a laundry room that can double as a project room (both for them and for me!).

via Apartment Therapy
A white, bright, cheery, "clean-feeling" room - just as a laundry room should be. 
I like the idea of a great little sink area for delicate washing but also a bit of light gardening for your indoor plants.

via Well Appointed House Blog
Same room - opposite side.  I think this is a great idea:  a table in the middle of the room, or even off to the side, to sort/fold laundry.  It's a much more interesting (and probably less expensive) solution than built-in cabinetry. 
And look at those beautiful apothecary jars
(BTW I'm not advocating the three washing machines - they must have a LOT of children in that household)




via Pure Green Living


Very clever - a laundry room at the top of the stairs.  It's a great use of space, especially in an older home that may not have a great spot for a larger laundry area.  I included this picture because lately I have been liking the idea of doors covering the washer and dryer... 
I am wondering, though, if that would get tedious - and laundry doesn't need any help in the "tedious" department! Thoughts?
 


Cooking Light Idea House

I have had this picture in my inspiration files for years now. The storage for gift wrapping supplies, school project supplies and that great counter space for ongoing projects seem really smart for a busy family.


Pottery Barn
The vintage feel of this room is pretty fun. 

I'd add the following accessories to get a similar feel:

Linen Haus
Some vintage bottles for storage or just pretty display...

Layla Grace
I really like these crates for all types of storage. 
Looks like a great DIY if/when I get inspired!

For more Ideas of Perfection, look here and here.

8 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Love how you think!! These are totally gorgeous....and would make doing the humdrum chore of laundry mighty appealing!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Super post, Barbara!!!

I want a laundry just like the 2nd one! The more my family grows, the more I wish I had double washer and double dryer! :-)

Have a blessed week!!!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anonymous said...

love the idea of a laundry room doubling as a project room!! good use of space...and light and bright decor is essential for a good project room...easier to keep clean..
gorgeous images (not sure about the 3 washing machines-perhaps one is a dryer)...
best,
maureen

The Vintique Object said...

I had never considered before the idea of a laundry room combined with crafts and storage until now. How wonderful would that be? Though I like the idea for small spaces, I don't know if I could have a washer or dryer in an open area like a hallway or kitchen -- there would always be a pile of laundry on the floor!
Camille

Stacy CUrran said...

I couldn't agree more! I would move just to have that first one!
Stacy

Thoughts on Design said...

You'd double over laughing if you saw the laundry area in our house, Barbara. I'll take any of them...
:-)

The closest we got to your pictures was when we built our addition for our office/studio. There was a new stair between the kitchen and the studio. We made an oversized stair landing and set up an art area for our son. From there, he could look down into the kitchen if Sally and/or I were down there. If we were in the studio above the landing, he was within earshot and just a few steps away.


Cheers,
John

Haus and Home said...

I think having a luxurious laundry room is one of the ultimate luxuries!

Mr Fix It said...

Kitchenaid Dishwasher Not Cleaning

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...